As the year 2015 ends it’s important to know that we are part of a much larger movement that recognizes the dangers of fracking and is working to get America to do the right things. Here is a report I received from California’s Faith against Fracking organization:
This past year has been one of the most gratifying years in organizing – we accomplished a lot – but it’s also been one of the most challenging funding-wise. And that’s why I’m writing to ask you for your help. While grants partially fund our work, we need to bridge the gap. Can you chip in to help the Rootskeeper team continue our critical organizing work or help fund the Faith Against Fracking campaign? Even a little goes a long way!
Coming off a historic win for a ban on fracking in New York, here’s what we’ve been up to this past year in California:
• Organized the California Crossroads Tour which stopped in 8 cities and held a press conference in Sacramento. After the tour, we produced the California Crossroads Movie where and did house-parties around the state.
• Delivered thousands of petition signatures to Governor Brown calling for a ban on fracking and extreme extraction
• Organized the Clean Not Extreme Day of Action, with 18 distributed actions around the state, calling on Governor Brown to listen to the science laid out in the CCST Report, and to ban fracking.
• Delivered over 150,000 petitions to Governor Brown following Clean Not Extreme at a press conference featuring three state legislators, all of whom called for a ban on fracking in California
• Ramped up momentum on the Faith Against Fracking campaign, producing the short film Faith Against Fracking and holding over 30 screenings around the state
• Delivered the Faith Against Fracking letter to Governor Brown at a multi-faith day of prayer, meditation and inspiration in Sacramento (we hear that faith leaders make Governor Brown nervous).
Through all these actions, we were able to identify and grow a number of strong grassroots leaders who are working with us to strengthen the movement to end fracking and extreme extraction in California.
Next year, we plan on continuing:
• Our work with faith leaders and the Faith Against Fracking Campaign
• Organizing grassroots leaders and holding rallies and press conferences in the state capitol
• Organizing with health professionals, and highlighting health impacts.
• Moving Californians Against Fracking downfield – to win a ban, just like we did in New York!
We’re clearly moving the needle on fracking, but we can’t do it alone. Can you help us continue this important work and make a donation to Rootskeeper, or help us with our Faith Against Fracking campaign?
Thank you for your love and support!